Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2015

Amazon Hand-Crafted

I got accepted into Amazon's "Hand-Crafted" section, it is not live yet but will be soon, I suppose.  I read a pretty unfavorable article about the white-collar working conditions at Amazon this past week, and Jeff Bezo's response to that criticism.  The question circulating on the fine-craft art scene is this: By selling or buying on Amazon, are we complicent in these nasty-sounding employment practices?

I suppose we are.  But the alternatives are limited:  Etsy has become over-populated with decidedly NOT actually hand-crafted-by-one-lone-person in their little studio sellers.  Other sites come and go, cost a lot of money, or are not very effective for work of my type:  Time consuming one-of-a-kind mosaic gifts.  So I plan to continue with Amazon, and hope the current flurry of news brings about a change for the better in the Amazon Work Place.  At LEAST some free snacks now and then, for the employees.

Pictured:  Cottage Wall Plaques I'm making for the up-coming Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment